Re: Alignment and images

From: Mathias Dahl
Subject: Re: Alignment and images
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2016 15:01:27 +0200

>> I wanted to implement a file browser for image files
>
> Do you know about image-dired?
> I imagine you'll dislike how it makes the thumbnails; bug#10758.

I think it's pretty ... bad.  :-)

Hi Lars Magne, heja Norge!

Since I initially wrote that little hack for my own needs, I know it was useful for me back then, which means I will not take any offense :) Also, since Richard approached me about including it in Emacs I thought it might be of at least half-decent quality...

Out of curiosity, is there something in particular that is bad about it, or do you dislike the whole thing? :-P I don't have much need for it anymore but I did try it last year, just to see if it still worked, and I thought it was quite simple to use, several years after I stopped using it myself. As a local/personal hack, it's no problem but I never liked that it relies on all those external tools, but there were no other options back then. Perhaps the ImageMagick tools are not that bad in that they are quite common, but then there is jpegtrans (for rotation, IIRC) and some Exif tool as well...

Whatever you think of it, the approach of using thumbnails quite easily avoids the issue you seem to want to solve. Perhaps you should give it a try again, if you haven't already?

By the way, does anyone on the list know how much of the image handling (create thumbnails and other resized versions of an image, non-lossy rotatation of JPEG and Exif manipulation) that can be done if Emacs is built with ImageMagick libs?

/Mathias

PS. There are some parts of image-dired.el that are really half-cooked. For example there was some code to create HTML image galleries and some sort of slideshow stuff that I'm not that proud of (but once server some need). It's hard to know if we could rip such stuff out without risking annoying users who might be using it...