Re: Don't complain about changed file when it hasn't changed

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Don't complain about changed file when it hasn't changed
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2016 19:14:27 +0300

> From: Clément Pit--Claudel <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2016 11:34:13 -0400
>
> Another case: a Makefile may generate a.x automatically from b.x.  If b.x is
> updated, a.x will be regenerated on the next run.  If a.x was already open in
> Emacs, Emacs will prompts if the user tries to change it, even if a.x didn't
> actually change as a result of the re-generation.  a.x is not likely to be
> version-controlled, since it's auto-generated.

This will cause much more trouble to the project that uses this
Makefile, because Make does only consider the time stamp.  The usual
solution for this (and we have it in the Emacs build procedure as
well) is to use the move-if-change script, or something similar.  That
script makes sure that the file doesn't get updated unless its
contents really changed.