Re: Unbalanced change hooks (part 2) [Documentation fix still remaining]

From: Daniel Colascione
Subject: Re: Unbalanced change hooks (part 2) [Documentation fix still remaining]
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2016 09:22:21 -0700

From: address@hidden (Phillip Lord)
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2016 15:07:27 +0100
Cc: Daniel Colascione <address@hidden>, address@hidden

So having them balanced and consistent would be nice. I agree that in
fixing this, bad things might happens. But surely that is a risk of
fiddling with any core part of Emacs. One response would be to not to
it. Another response would be to incrementally increase the number of
test cases Emacs has to enable this (and other) changes in the core to
be made with more confidence.

My response is that we should not do it until we have decent test
coverage of the insdel functionality.  I simply don't believe in our
ability to avoid breakage in this core functionality unless we have
good test coverage.  Been there, done that, have bruises to prove it.

More tests in general would be nice. I have no objection to requiring test coverage for insdel before making major changes; my objection is to a blanket ban on changes even *with* test coverage. I was the under the impression that your preference was for the latter model, but IIUC, you actually hold the former position.