Re: Unbalanced change hooks (part 2) [Documentation fix still remaining]

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Unbalanced change hooks (part 2) [Documentation fix still remaining]
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2016 17:42:24 +0000

Hello, Eli.

On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 08:27:48PM +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2016 17:12:22 +0000
> > Cc: Daniel Colascione <address@hidden>, address@hidden,
> >   address@hidden
> > From: Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden>

> > > You are welcome to suggest more accurate wording that describes the
> > > current implementation.

> > I think it's only fair to point out that I did precisly this almost
> > three weeks ago (on 2016-08-10) and the welcome my efforts got was
> > somewhat less than wholeheartedly warm.

> Your attempt didn't describe the current implementation.  It described
> what you thought it should be.

The text in question (intended for the Elisp manual) was:

  Normally the before-change-functions and the after-change-functions
  hooks are called in balanced pairs around each buffer change, enabling
  state to be determined in a before-change function and used in an
  after-change function.  However on rare occasions,
  before-change-functions is not called before a buffer change and
  after-change-functions is thus called twice in succession.  Your
  program should be ready to deal with such an occurrence.

The crucial part of that is the first sentence.  It is true.

The second sentence is true in essence, though it possibly needs to be
made more accurate to deal with other cases.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).