Re: tarball builds

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: tarball builds
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2016 10:58:00 -0700

Stefan Monnier wrote:
I have the impression that the same holds for Mac OS X and for Windows
I don't use either OS, but I do still use Solaris 10 and the default
installs on Solaris 10 (which is still shipping!) lack many developer tools
like Autoconf.

But does it come with the other things we require (libgnutls, libpng, ...)?

No.

If not, what steps are usually used to bring those dependencies?

I usually just configure --without-gnutls, etc.

If they're usually brought from some kind of package management system
like Fink/Macports/APT/RPM then adding more dependencies shouldn't make
much difference.

I often deal with systems where those packages must be installed by people with superuser privileges, which I lack. Sure, I can (and do) ask admins to install or upgrade stuff, but there's often a delay involved. The delays can often stretch for months, due to concerns that the changes may negatively affect other users. (That's life in the big-bureaucracy world....)

Also, traditional platforms like Solaris 10 don't have some of those packages, even as options. So as a user I would have to build and install them myself, which would be an obstacle.

For GNU/Linux, as mentioned, compiling the latest is easy because you
just need a single command to bring in all the needed packages (no
matter how many there are).

If only things were that simple! Unfortunately:

1. The "single command" is distribution-dependent. You'd need a different command on Debian vs Fedora vs etc., and you might even need a different command on Fedora 23 vs Fedora 24. This sort of thing is OK for the Debian, Fedora, etc. distributors (they can maintain their prebuild scripts themselves) but it would be painful for us to maintain all this stuff upstream.

2. The needed developer packages can sometimes conflict. Just last week I ran into such a problem on Fedora 24 where the x86-64 and x86 packages conflicted with each other and I was thrust into dependency hell. I regularly run into such problems on Fedora, and it's understandable because developer package dependencies are not debugged as thoroughly.