emacs-win-builder

From: Nikolay Kudryavtsev
Subject: emacs-win-builder
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2016 22:47:48 +0300

Hello.

Here's something I would like to propose for inclusion into GNU Emacs early on, before it gets any contributors that didn't assign copyrights to FSF.

Ladies and gentlemen, presenting emacs-win-builder, an Elisp script for building Emacs on Windows. Currently I published it here.

The general idea is very simple. You start with only wget installed and Emacs sources, run a single function and get a new version of Emacs built for you. This installs the appropriate toolchain(MinGW and Msys2 are both supported), then goes through the whole autogen -> configure -> make -> make install cycle.

I believe this would save some time, both for maintainers of Emacs on Windows and general users. This also allows Emacs developers to keep the build procedure as complex as required, without having to worry about making it too hard for users to follow. Also, this lowers the dependency on any toolchain, since we can always add some of our own patches or non standard versions of packages into the process(MinGW build already uses quite few of them). People who want to hack around the build process would always have a working place to start from. Also users would be able to test bug fixes immediately without having to wait for a third party or the next RC.

Currently there are a few hacky pats, some parts should be better documented, but the main build procedure works for every currently possible build. Out of optional things, for MinGW only gnutls is currently built, but this is solvable. Also, I'm not so sure on the versions of MinGW libraries, this needs review from someone with better knowledge. I haven't thoroughly tested the resulting builds, but since this script does not do any magic, any possible problems with them seem solvable.

--
Best Regards,
Nikolay Kudryavtsev