Re: Release of CC Mode version 5.33

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Release of CC Mode version 5.33
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2016 20:47:35 +0000

Hello, Bastian.

On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 08:51:21PM +0200, Bastian Beischer wrote:
> Hello Alan,

> is it intentional that "M-x c-version" in emacs 25.1 RC2 also reports
> CC Mode version 5.33, even though the CC Mode shipped with Emcas 25.1
> is older and does not include the C++11 changes, for example?

Oh, what an idiot I am!  No, it wasn't intentional, I'd completely
forgotten about Emacs 25.1.  :-(  It's too late to change either number,
now.

However, the main thing is that version numbers are mainly for bug
reporting, and if (more likely, when) bug reports for CC Mode come in
from Emacs 25.1, I can assume they're from its own version of CC Mode,
and then check later when that's not the case.

I can see myself releasing 5.33.1 fairly soon, anyway, so hopefully that
will take some of the strain away from the version number mixup.

Thanks for telling me about this.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).