Re: Revise etc/DEBUG documentation

From: Alain Schneble
Subject: Re: Revise etc/DEBUG documentation
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2016 18:24:30 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> It is actually more complicated than that, because the same Emacs
> session could have some GUI frames and some text-mode frames (though
> not on MS-Windows).  That's why saying "Emacs executes as GUI" is
> problematic at best.

I didn't even know that this is possible.  Thanks for pointing it out.

> I understood what you were saying.  But your description doesn't match
> what I see here.  (And no, it's not OS version dependent, as I see the
> same on Windows 7 as on XP.)  My crystal ball says that you see that
> in a session which either didn't read src/.gdbinit, or you manually
> issued a 'handle' command that changes how SIGINT is handled by GDB,
> because under the default setting in .gdbinit, SIGINT has the
> "noprint" attribute, which implies "nostop".

Your crystal ball told you the truth.  In my session, it did not
properly load src/.gdbinit as I started gdb without specifying an
executable file as command line args.  In this case, the line 'set
$dummy = main + 8' in .gdbinit issues an error and script execution
stops.  Hence, all the 'handle' commands that follow were not executed.
I must have overlooked that.  I'm sorry.

>> Of course you can use 1) as well.  But this will show a SIGTRAP instead
>> of a SIGINT message in GDB ('Thread [m] received signal SIGTRAP,
>> Trace/breakpoint trap').
>
> From the user POV, the difference is unimportant, the important part
> is to get control back to GDB.

Indeed.

>> > +When Emacs is displaying on a text terminal, it is sometimes useful to
>> Isn't this always useful or even required?  Or is there a standard use
>> case that requires not doing so?
>
> Yes, deleting the "sometimes" part would be beneficial, thanks.

Thanks.

>> I agree with your changes.  These are the important points.  Thanks for
>> your help.
>
> Thanks, I will install this in a short while.

Thank you.