Re: xdg-directories.el

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: xdg-directories.el
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2016 17:13:43 +0100

Eli,

I can implement the functions for Windows and OSX.  I believe all Unices have implemented the XDG Base Directory Specification.

But we do have a problem: once this is implemented for all operating systems, XDG will become a meaningless package name and prefix.  Maybe we should not have a prefix at all and find sensible names not used by Emacs at the moment.

I propose that xdg-config-dir becomes instead user-emacs-config-directory and gets to be initialised according to the operating system's best practices.  Defaulting to ~/.emacs.d/config.  user-emacs-cache-directory defaults to ~/.emacs.d/cache and user-emacs-data-directory to ~/.emacs.d/data.  The defaults would only be used iff the operating system determination functions return nil.

user-emacs-directory could either be an alias of user-emacs-data-directory or default to it.

locate-user-emacs-<domain>-file would then make sense, and no names should be changed.  I think I should make these functions with the same interface of locate-user-emacs-file, and give it analog behaviour.

In my opinion, the chain of user-init-file should be (in order of precedence):

  1. (locate-user-emacs-config-file "init.el")
  2. (locate-user-emacs-file "init.el")
  3. ~/.emacs.d/init.el
  4. ~/.emacs (and the rest of the present order, like terminal specific files).

Would that seem sensible to you?

  Francisco Colaço