Re: `read--expression' and `read-minibuffer'

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: `read--expression' and `read-minibuffer'
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2016 18:30:10 -0400

> This seems a bit like a pseudo problem to me.  The difficulty to define
> and distinguish the two cases indicates that.

Not at all.  When a piece of code needs the user to type in an alist, it
uses read-minibuffer, when it needs the user to type in some kind of
chunk of code, it uses read--expression.

Both can be used to type in the same set of values, but the intention
behind is very different and providing eldoc support when typing in an
alist wouldn't make much sense in general, whereas it will usually be
meaningful in read--expression.

        Stefan