Re: `read--expression' and `read-minibuffer'

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: `read--expression' and `read-minibuffer'
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2016 00:50:53 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> Not at all.  When a piece of code needs the user to type in an alist,

Is this a real-life example?  In this special case, a key+value multi
prompt would be much more comfortable than a prompt for an alist, I
think.  If the alist is longer, I would prepare it in scratch and copy
it into the minibuffer anyway.  About what use cases of entering
non-expression s-exps are we talking here?

And maybe it often makes sense when symbol names appear in the alist,
who knows?  It's worse to have no completion in these cases than having
a completion that is just not useful in the other cases.

Or the programmer may even want to enable the user to enter an
expression that evaluates to the alist he should specify (maybe the user
wants to refer to some other alist some symbol is bound to, or he had
entered before)...then we are in the other case again.

Michael.