Re: Add a predicate for canonical file name

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Add a predicate for canonical file name
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2016 08:14:57 -0400

>> - equivalent regardless of the actual on-disk data.  I.e. this can't
>> take symlinks or hard links into account.  Questions remain about
>> whether it could presume the "normal semantics of the most common
>> file-system".  E.g. should it assume case-insensitive names in
>> MacOS/Windows and case-sensitive in GNU/Linux?
> You couldn't even do that because case-folding on Windows depends on the
> file system.

That's what I said: « Questions remain about whether it could presume the
"normal semantics of the most common file-system". »

Doesn't mean you can't do it.  Just that you may end up doing it in
a way which isn't what the caller expects/needs.

> You couldn't even collapse "/../" because of symlinks.

Here again, that's actually a choice.  `expand-file-name` (and by
extension, Emacs in general) already made the choice to disregard
this case.

        Stefan