Re: About desktop file

From: Angelo Graziosi
Subject: Re: About desktop file
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2016 23:35:31 +0200

Cc: address@hidden
From: Angelo Graziosi <address@hidden>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2016 22:14:21 +0200

Il 12/09/2016 18:43, Eli Zaretskii ha scritto:

Does Martin's advice give you what you want?  I think different users
will have different expectations regarding what frame parameters of
existing frames should be restored, so customization is the right way
of fitting this to your needs.

I don't understand why an user, that tries to customize the font, has
the expectation to find this in the second frame and not in the first.

Because frames loaded from the desktop file override the init file
settings.

..but the font configuration is not matter that desktop file should handle..

desktop file could override what isn't yet in the init file but not what it has.. otherwise which is the role of init file?

In any case, it seems we are wasting our time. If you think this behavior is OK, leave as it is. As I wrote, I will continue to regenerate the desktop file when I will find these kind of "issues" because for me this is the best and clean solution.

Thanks,
 Angelo.

PS. Just for the record, this init file is sufficient to have the new font in the first frame restored by desktop file:

$ cat init.el
(add-to-list 'initial-frame-alist '(font . "Source Code Pro 13"))
(add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(font . "Source Code Pro 13"))

(setq desktop-base-file-name "~/.emacs.d/desktop")

(setq desktop-base-lock-name "~/.emacs.d/desktop.lock")

(desktop-save-mode 1)