RE: grep-command: Ignore case if case-fold-search is non-nil

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: grep-command: Ignore case if case-fold-search is non-nil
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2016 10:55:49 -0700 (PDT)

> > Just because you might want to search the current buffer
> > case-(in)sensitively, that in no way implies that you want to
> > search a set of files somewhere the same way.
> >
> > `grep' is an external command.  It is not about acting (e.g.,
> > searching) buffers within Emacs.
> Ok, let me change my question.
>
> Should `grep' family of commands in Emacs pass '-i' as default,
> regardless of the `case-fold-search' value in current buffer,
> if the user didn't customize `grep-command'?

That's a better question.  I don't see why it should, but
it's a fair question.

The real point, I think, is that users can get their
preferred default behavior by customizing `grep-command'.
What the default value of that option is, is a secondary
consideration.  What's the argument for changing to -i
for the default?