RE: grep-command: Ignore case if case-fold-search is non-nil

From: Tino Calancha
Subject: RE: grep-command: Ignore case if case-fold-search is non-nil
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2016 03:05:22 +0900 (JST)

On Sun, 18 Sep 2016, Drew Adams wrote:

Just because you might want to search the current buffer
case-(in)sensitively, that in no way implies that you want to
search a set of files somewhere the same way.

`grep' is an external command.  It is not about acting (e.g.,
searching) buffers within Emacs.
Ok, let me change my question.

Should `grep' family of commands in Emacs pass '-i' as default,
regardless of the `case-fold-search' value in current buffer,
if the user didn't customize `grep-command'?

That's a better question.  I don't see why it should, but
it's a fair question.

The real point, I think, is that users can get their
preferred default behavior by customizing `grep-command'.
What the default value of that option is, is a secondary
consideration.  What's the argument for changing to -i
for the default?
After Eli answers, i agree is not good idea changing a long
standing default value.  I actually customize `grep-command' to
do what i like to do, and i keep it case insensitive.
My only concern now i that `rgrep', `lgrep' follow case-fold-search
but `grep-find' do not.  It's a minor thing, though.