Re: [Emacs-diffs] feature/integrated-elpa 4f6df43 15/23: README added

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] feature/integrated-elpa 4f6df43 15/23: README added
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2016 10:11:44 -0400

>> The competing proposal is to have a checkout of elpa.git
>> within/alongside that of emacs.git.
> The significant disadvantage to this is that if we want a stable release
> of Emacs, all the ELPA packages in the tar ball now get tied to the
> emacs release schedule, because all of the files in the checkout of
> elpa.git will be at the same commit.

Indeed.  There are factors that can minimize the impact, tho:
- packages in elpa.git should usually not be "crucial", so it's
  hopefully acceptable to bundle whichever revision was current at some
  particular point in time.  Users can easily update them afterwards.
- we'll definitely want the Emacs release to refer to a particular
  commit on elpa.git, and it's likely that this commit will be on
  a branch where we can apply some fixup when needed (hopefully rarely).

> Unless we move all the files in ELPA git to be external branches.

Of course, that's another option.  We should rework the GNU ELPA
building scripts to make this scale better, tho (such a rework would be
beneficial for many other reasons anyway).

        Stefan