Re: [Emacs-diffs] feature/integrated-elpa 4f6df43 15/23: README added

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] feature/integrated-elpa 4f6df43 15/23: README added
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2016 13:54:52 +0100

John Wiegley <address@hidden> writes:

> SM> But that's exactly what I don't want: GNU ELPA should not be just a
> SM> distribution of third party packages. For that, we already have MELPA
> SM> which works just fine.
>
> Either way, our management of ELPA needs to be stepped up, with varying
> degrees of oversight. The real question right now is how we achieve this
> technically, and Git is the first of those puzzles we have to solve, followed
> by the build system.

This is my interest really. I want to be able to use package.el format
in core, put packages both in core and on ELPA, and not have ELPA
packages tightly tied to core release cycle. At the moment, these are
either not possible or a PITA.

As it happens, having this work nicely should also gives a technically
painless transition between a package being a third party, then ELPA,
then a core package. This strikes me as a good thing.

Phil