Re: Dired: Improve symmetry in mark/unmark commands bound to keys

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: Dired: Improve symmetry in mark/unmark commands bound to keys
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2016 11:55:39 -0700

>>> But is the only way that makes sense. You objection has no grounds.
>>
>> I stated my grounds. They might not make sense to you, but they do to me.

AS> No, they make absolutely no sense. The prefix was obviously never intented
AS> to be used with this command. The only intented use of the second argument
AS> was the its caller, dired-flag-extension. That is easy to prove, because
AS> before commit 736b582 it wasn't even documented in the doc string.

Hi Andreas,

I'm interested in the technical content of this exchange, but there is no
place for telling the maintainer of a project that his objection is without
ground. He _is_ our ground, and I ask everyone to respect this. If you believe
otherwise, we're always on the lookout for future maintainers to take up the
baton.

So, while I like the appeal to consistency, if Eli objects, then I object, and
you should feel obliged to resolve our concerns -- in terms of the issues at
hand -- rather than stating they are baseless. Doing so will not move the
discussion forward.