Re: Proposal: font lock for `describe-variable`

From: Tianxiang Xiong
Subject: Re: Proposal: font lock for `describe-variable`
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2016 21:09:38 -0700

Would anyone care to take a look at the revised version of the
proposal? It's in another e-mail on this thread.

There are still a few kinks, such as:

- How to properly handle large values. Right now we have a policy of
not pretty-printing if the print representation is above some arbitrary
value; should we make use of `print-length` and `print-level` to ensure
that the print representation is always "reasonable"? Or is `describe-
variable` expected to always show the whole value?

- Handling sequences that cannot be operated on with standard sequence
functions like "length", e.g. rings. This one was a surprise, but
should not be too hard to fix.

- Syntax tables. For some reason, syntax table print in front of the
"Its value is:" prompt; I've yet to figure out why.

Thanks,

TX