Re: translation of Emacs manual into Japanese

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: translation of Emacs manual into Japanese
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2016 22:21:55 -0700

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
That'd need to figure out where to install it by "make install".  Are
there any GNU conventions for that?

Not as far as I know. We could install it as 'emacs-ja', I suppose.

After more looking I found a cache of Japanese translations of GNU manuals,
here:

http://www.ring.gr.jp/pub/doc/gnu-info-j/index.html.en

They look like they haven't been maintained since they were created many years ago, and it's reasonable to worry that this might happen to the Emacs manual. We could install a Japanese translation that's marked as being for a recent version. If it isn't maintained we could eventually remove it.