Re: translation of Emacs manual into Japanese

From: Takesi Ayanokoji
Subject: Re: translation of Emacs manual into Japanese
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2016 07:03:31 +0900

Of course I want to continue translation work in Emacs's future release ;-)

Regards.
---
Ayanokoji Takesi <address@hidden>

2016/09/30 午前0:10 "Eli Zaretskii" <address@hidden>:
> From: Takesi Ayanokoji <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2016 15:59:49 +0900
>
> Instead, I extracted translatable string from emacs-24.5's texi to PO files by using po4a utility, and then
> translate these PO file.
> After translation, I generate translated emacs-24.5's texi files from original texis and translated PO file by using
> po4a utility again.
>
> Up to that, this was a heavy work for me because I translated over 600 pages manual from nearly scratch.
> But after then, emacs-25.1 was released, updating translated manual was easy.
>
> I extracted translatable string from emacs-25.1's texi to PO files by using po4a utility, and then translate these
> PO file from emacs-24.5's translated PO files by using gettext's merge utility.
>
> At this point, this merged emacs-25.1's PO files ware almost Japanese but a few part that made changes in
> this release remain English.
>
> I translated untranslated part of PO files, and then generate Japanese manual in fact.
>
> But if I did not translate these PO manually, this cause emacs-25.1 manual almost Japanese a few English.
>
> This not means that the manual is outdated, it means up-to-date but not completely translated.

AFAIU, the technique you used makes every paragraph of the manual a PO
string, and then translates each such string.  This, of course, avoids
translating the same text again for the next version, but it will
leave any changed paragraphs in their English form.  With time, more
and more of the manual will become English if the translation is not
updated, so the danger of becoming outdated still exists, sort of.

Thanks.