Re: [Emacs-diffs] feature/integrated-elpa 4f6df43 15/23: README added

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] feature/integrated-elpa 4f6df43 15/23: README added
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2016 13:41:54 +0100

Alain Schneble <address@hidden> writes:
>> Or c)
>>
>> EMACS/lisp/blah.el
>> EMACS/lisp/elpa/packages/foo/foo.el
>>
>> which keeps all the lisp files under the lisp top-level dir, does not
>> require file moves, but pushes the two directory structures together,
>> complicating the build.
>>

> There's also d) where an elpa package would just go into it's
> corresponding directory under EMACS/lisp, e.g. EMACS/lisp/org if org is
> an elpa package.  Of course, there's a chance of name clashes here, but
> both GNU Emacs and GNU elpa are under the same control IIUC.

Would require us to keep track of which packages are package.el format
and which packages are not, spread throughout multiple directories. As
well as making the build a PITA (and fragile when we forget to update
the list), it would be confusing for the developers who would have to
remember two different sets of package structures.

Phil