Re: Proposal: font lock for `describe-variable`

From: Tino Calancha
Subject: Re: Proposal: font lock for `describe-variable`
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2016 22:57:21 +0900 (JST)

On Fri, 30 Sep 2016, Tianxiang Xiong wrote:

OK, I'll try to remove the whitespace changes.
Hi Tianxiang,

i have three suggestions:

I)

i see your patch modified two functions:
`describe-variable-custom-version-info'
`describe-variable'

maybe, in addition to the patch,  you can provide the log message
of the commit in Emacs format, i mean:

* lisp/help-fns.el (describe-variable-custom-version-info): blah, blah.
(describe-variable): blah, blah.

that could make much clear what is the rationale of your changes.

II)
I suggest to exclude from the patch the changes
princ --> insert
i guess the use of `princ' is intentional, in order to redirect the
standard output using:
(with-current-buffer standard-output

If you like, you might provide a patch made of two commits: the first one
without
any princ --> insert changes, and then,
add a commit on top of the previous one providing these (princ ---> insert)
changes.

III)
Do not drop embedded new lines as in:
(format "This variable was introduced, or its default value was changed, in\nversion
%s of Emacs.\n"
or in:
(format (concat "This variable was introduced, or its default value was changed,
in\nversion %s of the %s package"

Those newlines prevent to having lines longer than 80 lines.  They are
important.

Regards,
Tino