Re: Side Windows

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Side Windows
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2016 13:35:17 +0300

> Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2016 10:39:38 +0200
> From: martin rudalics <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden
>
>  >> Personally, I think that such layout decisions should be made before the
>  >> first side window is created.
>  >
>  > That might be impossible in the general case, because the same window
>  > arrangement could be used for displaying buffers of different
>  > directions.  One example is an email client that shows messages in the
>  > main window.
>
> I now committed my changes.  The option to change the direction of side
> windows is called `window-sides-reversed' and allows to change the
> direction permanently or have it depend on the frame's main window.

Thank you!

>  >> I doubt that you change the menubar layout whenever you switch
>  >> `bidi-paragraph-direction'.
>  >
>  > Some applications out there actually do that.  Emacs doesn't, but only
>  > because I deliberately decided it wasn't TRT (there's a FIXME comment
>  > about that in the sources).  Menu bars are different, because they are
>  > not really associated with any particular window, they are associated
>  > with a frame.
>
> Well, the situation with side windows is not that much different.

It could be similar or different, depending on the application.

> You could change the menubar layout whenever the selected
> (non-minibuffer) window or all windows on a frame show right-to-left
> text.

That causes an annoying direction switches.

When I worked on bidi, I decided to postpone changing the
directionality of the menu bar and tool bar until such time as we have
infrastructure to display their labels in languages other than
English.  IMO, having the menu/tool bar displayed R2L only makes sense
when the labels are in R2L script.

>  > I think we should at least allow for such a behavior as an option.
>
> Please test the new option.  As a side effect I also added a completely
> new command ‘window-swap-states’ which could be of general use.

Thanks, I will, but it might take some time until I get to that.  Too
many things on my plate right now.