Re: Should `position' be implemented in Emacs core and preloaded?

From: Tino Calancha
Subject: Re: Should `position' be implemented in Emacs core and preloaded?
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2016 01:14:32 +0900 (JST)

On Wed, 5 Oct 2016, Stefan Monnier wrote:

What i meant is that it would be nice if people could use that kind of
useful functions without face resistances.  I saw before
in this list people who wanted to use a function from cl-lib or seq.el,
and they received objections because that would force that file to
require such lib.

Normally such resistance only appears when it would require preloading
seq or cl-lib (i.e. when it's used by a file which is itself preloaded).

I think preloading seq.el would be OK under the following conditions:
- seq.el is changed so as not to require cl-lib (that's mostly
 a question of moving shared code between the two libs so that it's in
 seq.el instead of in cl-lib, so it shouldn't be too difficult).
- one of the preloaded files really benefits from seq.el.
I support this idea; seq.el is light and efficient so let's use it more.