Re: [Emacs-diffs] feature/integrated-elpa 4f6df43 15/23: README added

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] feature/integrated-elpa 4f6df43 15/23: README added
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2016 17:11:42 +0100

Alain Schneble <address@hidden> writes:

>>> Yes, there is an extra move files/directories step involved.  But I
>>> think it finally makes the _user's_ life easier ;)
>>
>> "user" here means "developer" - it doesn't make any difference for the
>> end user. For the developer, yes, it's probably easier for those who are
>> used to the lisp in the core, but harder for those who are used to
>> package.el format.
>
> It was not clear from what I wrote, but I was referring to a user --
> whether developer or not -- using a release version of Emacs and that
> potentially doesn't even want to use package.el to install additional
> packages.

I was never talking about the user manually using package.el to install
additional packages.

I was talking about using package.el as part of the build process to
compile package, and then using package.el as part of startup to
initialize packages in core.

> If we stick to the Emacs directory/file layout, it is a unified layout
> that gets presented to her. Where distictions between core libraries
> and ELPA core packages aren't visible at that level. That would be
> worth trying to achieve, I think. (And in fact is how the
> directory/files organization looks like in the current release, IIUC.)

AFAICT the layout of files inside the Emacs directory is, or should be,
more or less irrelevant to the end user of Emacs. We do not need to
maintain the current directory structure, to maintain the user
experience.

Phil