Re: [Emacs-diffs] feature/integrated-elpa 4f6df43 15/23: README added

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] feature/integrated-elpa 4f6df43 15/23: README added
Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2016 15:04:04 +0300

> From: Alain Schneble <address@hidden>
> CC: <address@hidden>, <address@hidden>,
>       <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2016 13:41:22 +0200
>
> >> AFAIU, Phillip is concerned about the development process of ELPA core
> >> packages.  While developing such a package, one wants to edit the
> >> git-controlled files directly and probably also load these files instead
> >> of the (git-uncontrolled) ones in the proper Emacs core location, where
> >> they would reside at least in a tarball release.
> >
> > The Right Way of doing this is exactly as we do with the likes of
> > charscript.el: edit the files that are their sources, in this case the
> > file in the ELPA repo, then commit the changes there, and finally
> > re-download them into the Emacs tree.  We are doing that all the time
> > with generated files.
>
> Do you mean committing the files with or without pushing to the remote
> git repo?  I guess you mean including a push?

Eventually, a push will be needed to get the change to everyone else,
of course.

> That would work of course, but might be a bit cumbersome.  I guess
> somentimes one wants to try it out prior to pushing to the remote.

I don't see anything that would preclude that in this case.  Try out
locally first, then commit and push later.  As usual.

> Or if you meant without pushing at all, then none of the above would be
> an issue, I think.  But the logic of getting ELPA core packages into the
> Emacs directory tree would be a bit different, as it would have to get
> the files from the local git clone.

I was hoping the modified package.el will help us get the files from
the repository, either local or remote, directly into the Emacs source
tree.