Re: [Emacs-diffs] feature/integrated-elpa 4f6df43 15/23: README added

From: Colin Baxter
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] feature/integrated-elpa 4f6df43 15/23: README added
Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2016 18:35:24 +0100

On Sat, Oct 08 2016, Drew Adams wrote:

>> AFAICT the layout of files inside the Emacs directory is, or should be,
>> more or less irrelevant to the end user of Emacs. We do not need to
>> maintain the current directory structure, to maintain the user
>> experience.
>
> Why do you think so?  A somewhat large part of this user's user
> experience involves interacting with that directory structure.
>
> I would not consider it a benign change to mess with that structure.
> Sometimes change that I am not in favor of need to be made, or
> at least some think that they need to be made.  So far, I don't see
> why a change in where Emacs Lisp files are stored (distributed) is
> needed.

As a mere Emacs user, I totally agree. A feature of the present directory
structure I most appreciate is the fact that I can (and do) install
simultaneously several versions of Emacs. It always amazes me that I can
use them concurrently without any issues. I wouldn't want to lose that
functionality. My two-cent's worth.

Best wishes,