RE: [Emacs-diffs] feature/integrated-elpa 4f6df43 15/23: README added

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [Emacs-diffs] feature/integrated-elpa 4f6df43 15/23: README added
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2016 21:35:59 +0000 (UTC)

> > Sometimes change[s] that I am not in favor of need to be made, or
> > at least some think that they need to be made.  So far, I don't see
> > why a change in where Emacs Lisp files are stored (distributed) is
> > needed.
>
> I think I have explained my reasoning here.

I must have missed it.  What is the reason?  Why is this needed?

If a proposed automatic use of package.el is _transparent_ to
users then that should include meaning that the Lisp libraries
it puts in place are put in place under .../lisp/, just as now.

It could be OK to add another subdir of .../lisp/ for some new
stuff that we really do not think logically belongs either
directly in .../lisp/ itself or under any of its existing subdirs.

But such a case would likely be (and should be) exceptional.
Usually, when a new library is added, it fits in one of the
existing subdirs well enough.