Re: [Emacs-diffs] feature/integrated-elpa 4f6df43 15/23: README added

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] feature/integrated-elpa 4f6df43 15/23: README added
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2016 20:03:49 -0700

>> So let's get back to how we can adapt our build process to include ELPA (1)
>> in the release tarball (for "ELPA tarball" packages), and (2) in our
>> mainline development (for "ELPA core" packages).

> Still confused about this, so let me check that I have this correct.

> An ELPA tarball package would be included in the tarball.

Yes. Somewhere (probably in a file in Emacs.git), we'd have a MANIFEST file to
declares which ELPA packages are special with respect to development (core
ELPA), and which to the distribution (tarball ELPA). It could also include
other details, such as which Git version we intend to use, where the files
should be mapped to, etc.

A next step would be to invent this file, and then adapt our build process to
act on its contents.

Once we can show that this does what we want, we can pick a trial package
(say, org-mode), and then move it out of Emacs.git, and demonstrate that all
the same thing still happen as they did before, even though the source now
originates from ELPA.git instead of Emacs.git.

> An ELPA core package would be including in the tarball, and other packages
> would be free to use it as a dependency?

Exactly.