Re: proposal: bind C-x r DEL to #'delete-rectangle

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: proposal: bind C-x r DEL to #'delete-rectangle
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2016 22:17:22 -0700

>> and it has had such a mix > since about forever. `C-x r' is not the place
>> to be defining alternative keys for the same command, IMHO. ...
>>
>> Well, fair enough. I'll just keep it in my init file, then.

DA> Just to be sure you know: I was giving my opinion - one opinion only. I
DA> don't speak for Emacs development, at all. You need not give up on your
DA> suggestion just because of my opinion. :-) Sorry if my reply gave you an
DA> impression that your suggestion was being shot down.

Just to give Drew some support here, I agree with his sentiment. Since C-x r
is a pretty crowded keyspace, it's probably better not to add more bindings to
it without a more compelling reason than "we could". I've found C-x r d to be
a handy enough mnemonic for deleting rectangles. But I can understand how C-x
r DEL would be nice, so the fact that you can define this in .emacs is, I
believe, the right answer.