Re: Emacs Lisp's future

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: Emacs Lisp's future
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2016 09:16:39 +0200

On 2016-10-11, at 06:18, Clément Pit--Claudel <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 2016-10-11 00:06, Marcin Borkowski wrote:
>> BTW, someone (Raman?) on this thread said that namespaces save typing.
>> That's not exactly right; that goal is achieved with autocompletion (as
>> he already noticed).  What namespaces really do is twofold:
>>
>> 1. Help avoid collisions, and
>>
>> 2. (last but not least!) save on reading.
>>
>> Long function names are really bad.
>
> I think nameless makes both of these a non-issue.  You get "import x as y"
> using custom prefixes (such as fl: for font-lock), and for your own code
> there's no typing (C-- inserts the package prefix) and no wasted space.
>
> Bottom line: I don't see much use for proper namespaces :)

That's only true to some extent.  Both names and nameless packages (even
though I really appreciate them) are really prosthetics; I'd have to
check it, but how do they behave with tools like xref-find-definitions,
edebug, lispy and others?  I'm pretty sure that names won't cooperate
with them nicely (I vaguely remember trying, though I'm not sure), I'd
have to check nameless.

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski