Re: Concurrency, again

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Concurrency, again
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2016 11:05:38 -0400

> I also know that in the not that distant future processors with
> hundreds or thousands of cores are going to be common, so there will
> only be more demand with time for the ability to do real concurrency
> for performance. Solving the parallel execution issue may be a matter
> of importance if (in the future) people are going to do things like
> using Emacs as a primary web browser and development environment.

"Luckily" here, it seems that (usefully) increasing the number of cores
is not that easy, so this future is still a bit further.  But I'll note
also that concurrency is not solution for parallelism.

IOW if we want to take advantage of tens of cores in Emacs, we have to
think very differently.  A language with STM or with "communicating
agents" won't cut it, I think.

        Stefan