Re: feature/integrated-elpa 4f6df43 15/23: README added

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: feature/integrated-elpa 4f6df43 15/23: README added
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2016 18:22:55 +0300

> From: Andy Moreton <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2016 16:12:14 +0100
>
> >> There are many more users of emacs than developers, so the design
> >> should be aimed at utility and convenience for users.
> >
> > That's the main motivation for my proposal, indeed.
>
> Then you have lost me, as your proposal in this thread seems to be to
> keeo the existing emacs directory structure, and make the layout of
> packages bundled with emacs be different from the layout of the same
> packages in ELPA.
>
> The existing emacs source tree directory structure is sensible for a
> monolithic project. However the whole idea here is to move away from a
> monolithic structure, so the source tree contains only the emacs
> core. Unmodified ELPA packages are imported into a packages directory
> to be bundled for distribution.

I guess we have different ideas of what will be left in the core,
then.  I think most of the stuff will be left in the core.

But in any case, having a separate sub-directory for every package,
like what we have on ELPA, makes very little sense for a structure
distributed in a release tarball.  You'd have many dozens of
subdirectories, each one with one or a handful of files.