Re: [Emacs-diffs] feature/integrated-elpa 4f6df43 15/23: README added

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] feature/integrated-elpa 4f6df43 15/23: README added
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2016 18:41:15 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: address@hidden (Phillip Lord)
>> Cc: John Wiegley <address@hidden>,  address@hidden,  address@hidden,
>> address@hidden
>> Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2016 09:25:13 +0100

>> > 100% agreement.
>>
>> Can you tell me why, though? Drew complained about grepability. What are
>> the other reasons?
>
> The structure of the Emacs lisp/ directory is well-thought and exists
> for many years with only minor changes.  It has some underlying logic,
> which allows one in most cases to know where a certain package lives.
> This is important not just for grepping, but also for visiting the
> files and any operation that requires its full file name.  Having some
> files outside of this structure will make working with those files
> more annoying.

The lisp directory structure is, to my mind, pretty confused. We have
"emacs-lisp", but one of emacs-lisp's more distinctive features, custom,
is not in it. Likewise, tree-widget. We have "emacs-lisp", "progmodes"
and so on which are defined after function, and "obsolete" which is
defined after status. We have "text-modes" and "org". We have "mail" and
"gnus" (although some of gnus is in net). Likewise mh. Likewise
international, language and leim.

Still, I agree that changing things is always a pain.

Phil