Re: Patches for Emacs 25.2

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Patches for Emacs 25.2
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2016 11:55:55 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> No. But the OP said "As a result, Tramp hangs while connecting to NetBSD
>> host." To me, it looks also like a valid reason to add this to Emacs 25.2.
>
> Can you tell when (in which Emacs version) was this problem
> introduced?

Well, it started with bug#17295, which set remote $HISTFILE to
"/dev/null". Released with Emacs 24.4.

Then there were bug reports 19731, 21697 and 23041, which reported a bash
bug when setting this. So the new defcustom `tramp-histfile-override'
was introduced in Emacs 25.1.

With bug#20446, Glenn reported a new problem with the previous fix. His
bash history was nuked. So I've committed another fix, also for Emacs 25.1.

And now we have bug#24478, also purely due to a remote bash. Given this
history, a fix shall go to Emacs 25.2.

And I pray, that this will be the final fix. Likely it won't help, I'm a
nonbeliever.

> Thanks.

Best regards, Michael.