TRAMP improvements

From: Philippe Vaucher
Subject: TRAMP improvements
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2016 15:42:51 +0200

Hello,

A while ago, I had a lengthy discussion about TRAMP with someone on IRC.

The discussion eventually resulted with someone making a lot of suggestions on how TRAMP should be, what was done "wrong" in it, etc. When suggested to communicate upstream, the person was not interested at all but showed a paste of custom hacks with comments suggesting areas where TRAMP could be improved... I kept this paste aside and I fell on it today so I'm sending it, in the hope it helps improving TRAMP.

I know the tone of the paste is not very constructive, please try to see past it and focus on the ideas/leads mentionned instead.

Here is the paste: http://sprunge.us/NGJM?cl

Maybe some or all of these comments are not relevant anymore, maybe the ideas are not really good ideas after all, or maybe it'd be too much work to implement some of the ideas... but I thought that it's for emacs-devel to decide.

If there are ideas worth considering, it's probably a good idea to start new threads for each ideas, assuming they need somewhat deep discussions.

Kind regards,
Philippe