Re: Concurrency, again

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Concurrency, again
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2016 16:34:18 +0200

Stefan Huchler <address@hidden> writes:

> As far as I understand the xwidget webkit browser is "only" some sort of
> a Client-server thing where you send messages from emacs to another
> process and it then does stuff and sends maybe answers back.

Yes.  It's pretty opaque.  I think it's possible to see a way to
interact with these objects more naturally by creating a Javascript
bridge that would expose the DOM fully to Emacs, and then you could
rewrite all Emacs commands to do things to that DOM.  Like `C-t'
(transpose-chars) with "point" inside one of these objects would look at
the DOM around point, figure out the necessary changes, and then update
the DOM inside the widget.

And so on.

But it would be...  er...  a major undertaking, and it would always be a
toy.

And it's irrelevant to the concurrency discussion, really.  :-)

> Sorry I go OT, but the question is, does ewb need some
> Concurrency? I guess not really cause the javascript stuff is more a
> pain than a gain for most cases in such environment.

I'm assuming you're referring to eww, and it sure does need concurrency.
Computing complicated layouts can be slow, and it would be nice if it
could take without stopping the user from doing other things.