Re: 1) (elisp) `Advising Named Functions', 2) search filtering example

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: 1) (elisp) `Advising Named Functions', 2) search filtering example
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2016 09:15:02 +0300

> From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2016 15:47:35 -0400
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
>
>   > - a very generic sense, which refers to some kind of way to influence
>   >   the behavior of something.
>
> Is there anything in our manuals that encourages this conflicting sense
> of the word?

Most probably, because "hook" is a general-purpose word freely used in
general discourse.  I don't see how can we avoid that without having
complicated confusing text in the manual.

I think Stefan didn't mention one more meaning of "hook" that is
specific to Emacs: it is sometimes used in reference to the function
that gets placed on the list that is the value of a hook variable.
(Actually, to my mind, this is the only situation where something
should be called "a hook".)