Re: feature/integrated-elpa 4f6df43 15/23: README added

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: feature/integrated-elpa 4f6df43 15/23: README added
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2016 08:54:51 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> I could less easily do:
>>
>> EMACS/lisp
>> EMACS/lisp/lots-of-files.el
>> EMACS/lisp/textmodes/package-1
>> EMACS/lisp/progmodes/package-2
>> EMACS/lisp/emacs-lisp/package-3
>
> This is what we want.  IOW, we want foo.el to live in the same
> directory it is now, even if its Git repository will be on ELPA.

I have been unclear. package-1, package-2 here are directorires.

>> This requires updating the current build process to exclude multiple
>> directories
>
> Why do we need to exclude directories during the build?  And what does
> "exclude" mean in this context?

Like "obsolete". Not compile them or include them in loaddefs.el gneration.

>> I also dislike this, because I think it mixes up files of different
>> kinds in the tree (that is files which are in place in the Emacs git
>> repo, and those which are not).
>
> There are no different kinds.

Files stored in emacs git and elpa git are different kinds of file,
because they will require diffferent proceedures to update.

They are all of the same kind: Lisp
> packages that are bundled with a release tarball.  The fact that some
> of them are in a separate Git repo  doesn't make them a different
> kind.  We want the move to ELPA to be transparent as far as the Emacs
> lisp/ directory structure is concerned.
>
>> Finally, it would no doubt be possible to do:
>>
>> EMACS/lisp
>> EMACS/lisp/textmodes/package-1a.el
>> EMACS/lisp/textmodes/package-1b.el
>> EMACS/lisp/textmodes/package-1c.el
>> EMACS/lisp/progmodes/package-2.el
>> EMACS/lisp/emacs-lisp/package-3.el
>
> Where 1a, 1b, and 1c are different versions of the same package?

No, where 1a, 1b and 1c are different modules of the same package, such
as org.el, org-export, org-cal etc.

> This is not required; the updates of bundled packages should go into
> ~/.emacs.d/elpa/, I think.

That's the only place that they can go, of course.

Phil