Re: feature/integrated-elpa 4f6df43 15/23: README added

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: feature/integrated-elpa 4f6df43 15/23: README added
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2016 08:59:36 +0100

John Wiegley <address@hidden> writes:

>>  - Use package.el to initialize and load these during startup
>
> I'm OK with this, as long as it doesn't impact current load-time efficiency.
>
> My past experience with package.is that it introduced a lot of slowness, due
> to loading far more autoloads than I might ever care about. This is partly why
> use-package manages my load-path and autoloads explicit: I only use maybe 1%
> of the total autoloads available in the system.
>
> As long as I'm not paying a cost just for having package.el be part of the
> process, I'm fine with this part of your goal.

I have no a priori way of determining whether this will be the case or
not. We can only find this out by building it.

It might even make things quicker -- currently Emacs loads all the
autoloads in loaddefs.el whether you want it to or not. We might be able
to reduce that. My own feeling is that autoloads are currently used for
two things: ensuring that a user feature is available (i.e. open a perl
file and get perl mode); and enabling a programmatic feature without
needing a "require" form (i.e. in a new lisp file call "pcase").

What I would say, though, is that IF it does slow things down, then this
will provide the impetus to speed package.el up, to the benefit of
everyone not using use-package.

Phil