Re: feature/integrated-elpa 4f6df43 15/23: README added

From: Alain Schneble
Subject: Re: feature/integrated-elpa 4f6df43 15/23: README added
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2016 23:17:58 +0200

Lars Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden> writes:

> Anyway, I've been trying to follow this discussion, and I just don't
> seem to get what the problem is.

Me too.

> Now, package.el knows that the user wants foo-0.6, so it prepends that
> directory to load-path.  In addition, it also has to blacklist all .el
> files from previous versions of the package that are visible, which
> will, in this case, be the files in the manifest from the build-in
> version 0.5.  So it'll add '("lisp/foo.el" "lisp/image/foo-images.el")
> to a new variable load-path-blacklist, and saying `(require 'foo-images)'
> anywhere will fail with "cannot open load file".

Do you really see a need for doing this?  Either is foo-images some
package-internal feature.  Then nobody should care about it and no one
should ever require it beside the old version of the package itself.  Or
it belongs to a public "API" that clients (whether packages or not) may
use at will.  But then foo package should account for it and somehow
explicitly mark it as deprecated before removing the feature/file in a
v1+n version.  (Maybe package.el should support explicit withdrawal of a
formerly published public feature.  I'm not sure if a solution at the
load-path "low-"level would be TRTTD.)

Alain