Re: Emacs as browser (was Re: Concurrency, again)

From: Perry E. Metzger
Subject: Re: Emacs as browser (was Re: Concurrency, again)
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2016 23:09:23 -0400

On Thu, 20 Oct 2016 21:45:59 -0400 Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
wrote:
>   > No in theory, mostly yes in practice so far. Although Wayland
>   > is intended to be portable among Unix-like systems, it's
>   > currently mostly limited to the Linux kernel because its
>   > reference implementation is being developed on GNU/Linux.
>
> Do you think there is a great difficulty in making other kernels
> (BSD, Hurd) support Wayland?

So it depends upon what you mean by Wayland. As with X, Wayland
is partially a suite of protocols and part a set of reference
implementations of those protocols. The current reference
implementations are fairly Linux (kernel) dependent. That will
doubtless change, because all free OSes are ultimately going to be
under pressure to have working ports.

Regardless, I think it would be good to recruit some of the Cairo
devs (some of whom are Emacs users) to help clean up the Cairo code
if they can be persuaded to assist, because that would make Emacs work
better on both X and Wayland.

Perry
--
Perry E. Metzger                address@hidden