Re: Tookits (was Re: Emacs as browser)

From: Perry E. Metzger
Subject: Re: Tookits (was Re: Emacs as browser)
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2016 09:45:18 -0400

On Fri, 21 Oct 2016 15:57:44 +0300 Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2016 08:39:26 -0400
> > From: "Perry E. Metzger" <address@hidden>
> > Cc: Philippe Vaucher <address@hidden>,
> > address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden,
> > address@hidden, address@hidden
> >
> > On Fri, 21 Oct 2016 09:53:15 +0300 Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>
> > wrote:
> > > The only advantage of Qt is that it's multi-platform, but GTK is
> > > also multi-platform.
> >
> > Well, to be precise, it seems to be "mostly" multiplatform. By
> > this I mean that it appears that it is possible for features that
> > use the API to build on the X side but not on other systems. For
> > example, apparently the GTK based xwidgets stuff doesn't build on
> > OS X, or at least doesn't currently.
>
> Only because no one wrote the Emacs supporting code for the other
> platforms.
>
> GTK is available on all platforms we support with GUI frames, so
> it's "only" a matter of integrating it into Emacs on the other
> platforms.

Well, exactly. That was my point. It isn't perfectly portable, you
need to write some support code for it to work on each platform.

(To my knowledge, the only "really" multiplatform GUIs right now are
written for Electron and systems like it, which is to say, web apps
running on the desktop. *Shudder*.)

Perry
--
Perry E. Metzger                address@hidden