Re: Add seq-random-elt

From: Nicolas Petton
Subject: Re: Add seq-random-elt
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2016 22:52:30 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> Hmm... do we really need that?  What's the benefit?

I think it's convenient.  Accessing random elements of sequences is not
uncommon.

Smalltalk has `Collection >> atRandom', Clojure has `rand-nth', etc.  I
agree it's probably not something you use daily, but it's convenient to
have it when you need it.

> Is there maybe a sequence which will provide another implementation?
> If not, I'd vote to keep this out of seq.el.

I'd go for including it, but I don't have a super strong opinion about
it.

Cheers,
Nico