How do I import upstream commits into ELPA

From: Clément Pit--Claudel
Subject: How do I import upstream commits into ELPA
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2016 11:26:58 -0400

Hi all,

A few months ago Stefan pushed a small fix to my compact-docstrings package.  I
wanted to upstream it to the GitHub repository today, so I ran the following:

  git remote add github-compact-docstrings cpitclaudel/compact-docstrings
  git subtree push --prefix=packages/compact-docstrings/
https://github.com/cpitclaudel/compact-docstrings.git master

This seems to have worked nicely.  However, I then added an extra commit to the
Github repository, and I'd like to pull it into ELPA.  Running

  git subtree pull --prefix=packages/compact-docstrings/
github-compact-docstrings master

Gives me the following, which also seems fine:

  From github.com:cpitclaudel/compact-docstrings
   * branch            master     -> FETCH_HEAD
  Auto-merging packages/compact-docstrings/compact-docstrings.el
  Merge made by the 'recursive' strategy.
   packages/compact-docstrings/compact-docstrings.el | 2 +-

However, when I look at the history that it created, I get three commits
instead of 2: Stefan's change, re-pulled from the GitHub repository; my new
change; and a merge commit.

Is that expected?  If not, how can I not re-merge Stefan's change?

Thanks!
Clément.