Re: When should ralloc.c be used?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: When should ralloc.c be used?
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2016 15:50:57 +0300

Is it reasonable to require a version of glibc that still supports
__malloc_initialize_hook?  When people upgrade to a newer glibc, the
previous version is still left on the system, I presume (for programs
that need them which were built against those old versions)?

I took a look at our sources, and we have a lot of places where we
call malloc, directly or indirectly, while holding C pointers to data
of Lisp strings.  We also have several (maybe half a dozen) places
where the same happens with C pointers to buffer text.  Auditing all
of these and fixing them is a non-trivial job, so maybe we should try
to avoid the problems in the first place?  Is it a practical solution?