Re: When should ralloc.c be used?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: When should ralloc.c be used?
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2016 16:44:10 -0400

>> I don't think it matters very much since we use mmap for the buffers,
> No, we don't, not on GNU/Linux anyway.

AFAIK the decision not to use mmap was due to the fact that glibc's
malloc itself uses mmap.  But if we don't use glibc's malloc, then why
wouldn't we decide to use mmap ourselves for the buffers?

> Or do you see USE_MMAP_FOR_BUFFERS defined to 1 in your src/config.h?

I'm not sure how to interpret what I see.  On Debian stable I see:

  Should Emacs use the GNU version of malloc?             yes
      (Using Doug Lea's new malloc from the GNU C Library.)
  Should Emacs use a relocating allocator for buffers?    no
  Should Emacs use mmap(2) for buffer allocation?         no

and on Debian testing I see:

  Should Emacs use the GNU version of malloc?             no (only before
dumping)
  Should Emacs use a relocating allocator for buffers?    no
  Should Emacs use mmap(2) for buffer allocation?         no

so, in neither case do I see REL_ALLOC enabled.

        Stefan