Re: Skipping unexec via a big .elc file

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Skipping unexec via a big .elc file
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2016 13:51:02 +0300

> From: Philipp Stephani <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2016 10:28:06 +0000
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
>
>  But loading the "pre-loaded" *.elc files as quickly as possible is IMO
>  an attractive approach, because it's very simple and doesn't require
>  knowing too much about unrelated issues.
>
> I agree, we should strife for simplicity first and performance later. I'd
> suggest to use the pre-loaded .elc
> approach in master and work on a faster (but still portable) replacement
> later, when the need arises.

I agree: we should make it work right first, and speed it up later.
There's a lot of room for speed improvement, some of the ideas were
already voiced here.

If someone wants to work on this, I think some of the stuff that
should be done is this:

  . Implement a command that writes a given list of *.elc files into a
    single file.

  . Make the C code that today runs at dump time and records various
    build-related variables, such as source-directory and
    system-configuration-features, record the values in a Lisp file
    (eventually will be the same .elc file that is loaded at startup).

(I'm sure there are more items in that list, but I didn't think long
enough to come up with more.)

Volunteers are welcome.