Re: Skipping unexec via a big .elc file

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Skipping unexec via a big .elc file
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2016 19:04:45 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2016 09:52:54 -0400
>
> >   . Implement a command that writes a given list of *.elc files into a
> >     single file.
>
> >   . Make the C code that today runs at dump time and records various
> >     build-related variables, such as source-directory and
> >     system-configuration-features, record the values in a Lisp file
> >     (eventually will be the same .elc file that is loaded at startup).
>
> BTW, my dumped.elc attempt was specifically trying to solve these
> issues: by dumping the state of the obarray, we automatically get these
> vars set like we want them.  It also solves other side-issues such as
> making sure that `C-h f dolist RET' points to "subr.el" rather than to
> "dumped.elc".

I consider tinkering with obarray's internals still too "advanced" to
prefer it to a simple generation of Lisp code that records values of a
few variables.  (And are you sure all of the information we record at
dump time is in obarray? I am not.)  The number of these variables is
not large, so finding them in the sources will not be hard.